Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer Kick Off

Since we didn't get Kings Island passes this year, I told the kids that we would do lots of local things this summer that we haven't done in a while/ever. We started off by going to Wegerzyn Gardens in Dayton on Saturday. Steve and Cole were working. After checking out the website, Trent decided he was probably "too old" to have much fun there. So, it was just Reed, Riley and I. We had only been to Wegerzyn Gardens once, and it was when Riley was a baby. Since it is only 10-15 minutes away, I am not sure why we have not gone more often. Back to the always being busy thing I guess.

Wegerzyn has some beautiful garden areas, trails through the woods and a Children's Discovery Garden. We first explored the Children's Discovery Garden, and Reed and Riley really enjoyed all the hands on activities there. I had to drag Riley away from watering the plants.  She is still my "Little Garden Girl". After having a picnic lunch, we moved on to walking through the garden areas and a couple of short boardwalk trails through the woods. Then, it was time for what Reed and Riley had both been waiting for-the water play area. When I had talked about going here earlier in the week, I didn't realize the high would be hovering around 70 degrees with a cool wind. But, they were determined to get wet. They played in the water for a lot longer than I expected and had a blast. On the way home, both Reed and Riley started saying that they wanted to make a return trip to Wegerzyn at least once or twice this summer. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.











No comments: